Produce for Kids: Top Tips for adding more fruits & veggies into your family's diet
Here are some tips from Registered Dietician, Estela Schnelle, on how to integrate more fruits and veggies for quick and easy meal planning into your family’s diet:
- Keep cut fruit and berries in clear containers in the fridge for quick and nutritious snacking on the go. Storing produce in clear containers will help your family to see what is readily available in the refrigerator at first glance. Remember, we eat with our eyes!
- Try adding lettuce and tomato to all lunch sandwiches
- Have kids choose their favorite fruit to add to oatmeal or cereal in the morning such as sliced bananas, strawberries and/or blueberries
- Make a quick batch of salsa using fresh tomatoes and onions to snack on with pita chips or baked tortilla chips
- Slice squash, zucchini and fresh tomatoes for a colorful and nutritious pizza topping
- Try flavoring your water with cucumber, berries, limes and lemons for a tasty and effortless nutritional boost
- How do some super easy to make smoothie pops sound as a sneaky way to get some fruits into your child’s dessert tonight?
- Mash cauliflower with your favorite seasoning for a healthful side dish
- Switch out your child’s favorite chips for baby carrots with a healthful dip
- Incorporate fresh peppers, tomatoes, broccoli and or mushrooms into breakfast egg dishes such as scrambles, omelets and quiche
Content for this post was provided to me by Produce For Kids: Your Healthy Family Resource.
Do you have any fun tricks and tips for including more produce into your children's lunches or family meals? Share it with us in a comment below!